Friday, July 14, 2006

Life in Korea so far #2

Well we've been quite the tourists this week! Three trips to various nature areas around Busan. We went up to a mountain where we could see the whole city. Man, it's huge! We also went to Tae Jong Dae ( Don't worry mom, the "suicide rock" is blocked off, so no danger:) and to place called Five and Six Islands. I could only see three islands because we were in wrong angle. Really beautiful areas. I had no idea that Korea has so much nature. In reality it's quite tropical. Really, really muggy, but air conditioning is pretty much everywhere, so we only suffer in short spurts.

We've done some more advertising for the children's program, but I think we need a new marketing strategy in terms of my involvement. Having me simply say, "Hello", "Hi" and "How are you doing," to random kids no longer thrills many of them. One thing I did bring away with the experience was my annual sun burn. So, like two years ago, I got the "potatoe slices on the burnt skin treatment" and it really seemed to work this time.

I'm actually cementing a little Korean in my brain now, but its amazing how often my Sudanese words pop into my mind. My brain seems to have this category of "words to be used when you are stuck in a context where you understand nothing." But, tragicly, words like jihanne, dishan and niskana mean little to this context so I may need some new categories.

I'm now done tutoring! Freedom! I really like those little girls but they are absolutely exhausting, so I don't mind a little extra time to relax now. Life continues to go well. It's been good to have this time with few pressures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Once again you have me laughing out loud all by myself. Glad you're having a good time!